Larry Strain, FAIA, LEED AP
Principal, Siegel & Strain Architects
Founding Principal of Siegel & Strain Architects in Emeryville CA, a 20+ person firm with a focus on community projects and sustainable design. Notable projects include Camp Arroyo, the Emeryville ReSourceful Building Project, and the Portola Valley Town Center. He is a member of the AIA Materials Knowledge Working group and serves on the boards of the Ecological Building Network and the Carbon Leadership Forum. He was on the research team for the CLF’s Embodied Carbon Benchmarking project and is co-chair of the Reuse Task Force of the Embodied Carbon Network. Larry has been writing and speaking about materials, sustainable design, carbon and reusing buildings for more than 20 years, and for the last decade has focused on reducing the total carbon footprint of the built environment.
- ReSourceful Specifications, guideline specifications for sustainable materials, 1996
- Emeryville ReSourceful Building, co-author, whole building LCA, affordable housing project, 1998
- Total Carbon Study, co-author: evaluation of a net zero office renovation, 2015
- Time Value of Carbon, white paper – Carbon Leadership Forum, 2017
- New Carbon Architecture, chapter on Reuse, 2018