CLIMATE CHANGE IS OUR CHALLENGE
HOW TO COMMIT
1.5ºCLIMATE ACTION COMMITMENT:
We, the undersigned (architecture, planning, and allied building and construction firms, organizations and entities), pledge to immediately undertake actions that align with the Paris Agreement’s target of limiting the global average temperature rise to 1.5°C above pre-industrial levels:
- Plan and design all new buildings, developments, and major renovations to:
- use no on-site fossil fuels (gas, heating oil, etc.) and
- achieve zero carbon1 building operations.
- Fully electrify existing buildings when renovating and replacing equipment and systems to eliminate on-site fossil fuel use.
- Promote the adoption of zero-carbon building code standards as soon as possible, with adoption no later than 20252
- Prioritize renovating and upgrading existing buildings for extended use and re-use.
- Reduce the embodied carbon of all steel and concrete3 in new buildings and infrastructure by a minimum of 40%4 by 2021, and zero embodied carbon steel and concrete by 2030.
- Reduce all other building and construction materials to be low to zero embodied carbon (minimum 40% reduction by 20214), and all materials to be zero embodied carbon (or carbon positive) by 20405.
- Promote fossil fuel free construction sites.