CLIMATE CHANGE IS OUR CHALLENGE
The following actions align with the Paris Agreement’s target of limiting the global average temperature rise to 1.5°C above pre-industrial levels:
- Plan and design all new buildings, developments, and major renovations to:
- use no on-site fossil fuels (gas, heating oil, etc.) and
- achieve zero carbon1 building operations.
- Fully electrify existing buildings when renovating and replacing equipment and systems to eliminate on-site fossil fuel use.
- Promote the adoption of zero-carbon building code standards as soon as possible, with adoption no later than 20252
- Prioritize renovating and upgrading existing buildings for extended use and re-use.
- Reduce the embodied carbon of all steel and concrete3 in new buildings and infrastructure by a minimum of 40%4 by 2021, and zero embodied carbon steel and concrete by 2030.
- Reduce all other building and construction materials to be low to zero embodied carbon (minimum 40% reduction by 20214), and all materials to be zero embodied carbon (or carbon positive) by 20405.
- Promote fossil fuel free construction sites.